Mother Hens: Red Shakshuka
October 18 2018·
From Chef Einat Admony
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large jalapeño chile, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Pipel Chuma
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- ½ bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped, or spinach
- 8 to 12 Handsome Brook Farm eggs
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and jalapeño and cook just until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, and Pipel Chuma, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the tomatoes. Stir in the bay leaf, sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, pepper, and caraway and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes. Layer the Swiss chard leaves on top.
- Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.