Mother Hens: Eggs Benedict with Buttermilk Biscuits, Country Ham & Root Salad
November 15 2018·
Eggs Benedict with Buttermilk Biscuits, Country Ham & Root Salad
From Chef Janine Booth
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 ½ sticks butter, melted
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
Pour 1 – 2 inches of water in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Once simmering reduce heat to low. In a medium metal or glass bowl, whisk egg yolks over the simmering water until the yolks become pale yellow and expand to be light and fluffy approximately 3-5 minutes until you are able to draw a line in the mixture and you have reached what is called the ‘ribbon stage’. Add lemon juice and then begin gently pouring in the butter in a gentle stream, whisking to combine. If the mixture becomes way to think then you may add a tablespoon of water. Once you have drizzled all of the butter in, add the cayenne and salt and taste.
Root Ribbon Salad
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in ½
- ½ cup your favorite pickled cucumbers
- ½ cup your favorite picked herbs
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
Gently combine all ingredients in a bowl and taste for seasoning.
- Handsome Brook Farm Eggs – 2 per plate
- Bring a shallow pan filled 1 inch with water to a simmer. Gently swirl the water in a circular motion.
- Gently crack eggs into the center of the pan and simmer for approximately 2 minutes for a soft poached egg.
- Gently remove with a spoon or slotted spoon.
Buttermilk Biscuits – makes about 16
- 375g wondra flour
- 22g baking powder
- 8g salt
- 50g honey
- 4 oz butter frozen, grated on a box grater and frozen again
- 1 cups buttermilk, chilled
- 1 cup honey
- 4 oz butter
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using your finger tips, toss butter into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs (the fast the better, you don’t want the fats to melt.)
- In a separate bowl, combine honey and buttermilk. Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk.
- Stir just until the dough comes together and fold. The dough will be very sticky. Roll out biscuits to 1 inch thick and cut with a round cookie cutter.
- Bake until biscuits are tall and light gold on top (15 minutes) Cook 8 minutes and then rotate and cook 6 more minutes. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter mixed with honey and a little sea salt.
- Sliced scallions
- Your favorite country ham or prosciutto
- Cut a biscuit in half and place on plate. Top each half with a nice slice of country ham or prosciutto, a poached egg, followed by a large spoonful of hollandaise and sliced scallions. Place a nice handful of the root ribbon salad on the side and enjoy!