Mother Hens: Drunken Deviled Eggs
November 8 2018·
Drunken Deviled Eggs
Topped with pickled beets and root chips
From Chef Janine Booth
- 6 Handsome Brook Farms eggs
- ¼ cup garlic aioli
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Dash Tabasco
- 1 tbsp dill chopped (reserve a few sprigs for garnish)
- 1 tbsp capers chopped
- 1 tbsp chives diced
- 1qt beet pickle juice (see recipe below)
- 12 ea small potato chips
- 1 whole beet, roasted until tender and peeled
- 1 qt red wine vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat vinegar, sugar and salt in a medium pot until everything has dissolved. Pour over the beets and let cool. Pickles are best after 24 hours so cool in the refrigerator for 24 hours before removing beets. Small dice the beets for garnish and reserve liquid for the eggs.
- Place tempered eggs in a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Run the eggs under room temperature water until cool enough to touch and peel the hardboiled eggs under the running water.
- Place the eggs in the beet juice for 15 minutes. Remove the eggs from the beet juice and rinse quickly and dry well.
- Cut a 2mm end from each end of the eggs creating a base for the egg to stand up. Cut eggs in half and pop out the yolk.
- Add all remaining ingredients, including egg yolks, into a mixer. Mix on low until well incorporated.
- Place mixture in a piping bag and pipe into the pink egg whites. Top with pickled beets, root chips, dill sprig EVOO and sea salt.