Mother Hens: Crispy Egg over Toast with Avocado Butter
November 29 2018·
Crispy Egg over Toast with Avocado Butter
From Chef Suzanne Vietzhann
- 1 Handsome Brook Farms Egg
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon half
- 1 sticks tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro; leave some for a garnish
- Kosher salt and Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 thick slices of ciabatta or country bread
- 1 tbsp sea salt (Maldon)
- Olive oil
- 2-3 red breakfast radishes
- Toast bread first with olive oil in a toaster or under broiler
- For the avocado butter: insert a knife into ripe avocado until you make contact with the pit. Follow your knife all the way around the center of the pit and split the fruit open. Carefully I stab my knife into the pit and twist it to the right which will release the pit and knock it into the bowl or trash. Using a spoon scrape the flesh into a food processor fitted with a blade attachment.
- To the avocado add some freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 stick of room temperature unsalted butter, 1 tsp minced garlic, salt, pepper, fresh cilantro or could use a different herb like basil if you don’t care for cilantro. Process until smooth, scraping down sides. Take butter out of processor into a small mixing bowl and set aside while you prepare crispy egg.
- Pre-heat a non stick skillet over medium-high heat. You want your pan to be hot but not smoking. Add about 2TBSP olive oil and then crack your egg into the pan. Turn heat down slightly. Once white has set using a medium spoon you will start basting your egg with the extra olive oil to slightly cook the white. Remove from heat and butter bread.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of avocado butter on to your toasted bread slices. Lift your egg out of the pan using a fish spatula to allow excess oil to drip off and place on top of buttered bread. Garnish with thinly slice radish for texture and color and sprinkle with maldon salt/flaky sea salt and a little more cilantro.