Mother Hens: Sabich Salad
October 1 2018·
October 1 2018·
From Chef Einat Admony
- 4 Handsome Brook Farm eggs
- 2 small potatoes, peeled
- 1 large eggplant (or two small), cut into large 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup chickpeas
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Amba Aioli (see recipe below)
- Parsley for garnish
- Boil whole potatoes with a generous pinch of salt for about 22-25 minutes, until center of the
- potato is tender. Remove and let cool slightly before cutting into ¼ rounds. Set aside.
- For the soft boiled eggs, fill a small pot with water (about ¾ full) and bring to a boil with a pinch
- of salt (this makes the eggs easier to peel). Once boiling, carefully add in the eggs and cook for
- 7 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to an ice bath. Let
- eggs cool completely before peeling.
- Fill another pot with enough oil to deep fry and fry eggplant in two batches for 5-7 minutes until
- a deep golden brown color. Stirring occasionally to make sure the eggplant fries evenly.
- Remove to a plate lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- To assemble, toss together potato, eggplant, chickpeas, and tomato with lemon juice and salt.
- Spread a layer of amba aioli on the bottom of a platter, top with potatoes. Slice eggs into
- wedges and scatter on top, drizzle with more amba aioli and garnish with parsley leaves.
Makes about 1 1/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons of water or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon amba powder
- 1 cup mayo
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small garlic clove, minced or grated
- Whisk water or orange juice with honey and amba powder. Add to the mayo and whisk in
- turmeric and garlic until fully combined. If you would like to make it a bit thinner you can whisk
- in more water or orange juice one tablespoon at a time.